9.09.2012

Faith

I fell asleep the other night thinking about faith and what it is. At first my thought was, faith is a belief in something that cannot be proved. Then I thought perhaps it means belief in something that hasn't been proved.

As I talk to more people about God and the bible, I'm becoming more comfortable with faith based solely on the bible.

I'm becoming comfortable with the idea that the bible can be written by man and still be the Word of God. I'm becoming ok with the idea that the bible is true, that it actually represents the words of men written thousands of years ago, and that is has not been modified in any way that creates a gross error in translation.

I think the leap of faith here would simply be that the bible is the Word of God. I think we can reasonably prove that it is or is not an accurate translation of what was originally written. I think we can do the research to determine whether or not it was written within a certain range of times.

I'm running on the assumption that the bible I'm reading today (KJV and NIV) is a fair and accurate translation of the same documents written in the Old Testament and New Testaments. I'm also assuming that the estimates about when they were written are basically correct. 

This means I now have to decide if the words are true and accurate representations of reality as perceived by the writers. Since I haven't read it all, I can't really judge at this point. I can tell you that if they are true, some truly fantastic things have occurred. Unbelievable things. I'm not going to let that stop my investigation.

On the chance that God is real, and that he loves us all, I think everyone owes it to themselves to at least read the bible once with an open heart and mind. I'm one of the most analytical and stubborn people I know. I've never been more open to His word.

Thanks to everyone that is accompanying me on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment